Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Style Academy #5

Before watching the video:
I decided I wanted to learn more about tropes and schemes today. I honestly don’t have much clue about what either of those are or what they do, so I’m hoping this video will help me be more informed and knowledgeable about their designated purposes. According to the lesson summary, tropes are tricks that turn or change the meaning of words, like a metaphor, and schemes are language patterns I can use to keep my readers engaged with my writing. Both of these sound like very useful tools I can use in my writing, especially schemes because I don’t think that I keep my readers that engaged. My writing sometimes sounds quite boring, so these tricks sound like great ways to enhance my writing.

After watching the video:
The purpose of tropes, I learned, is to compare two very different things to create and get some deeper meaning. They try to create an identification between two unrelated or unlike things. They are actually arguments. Tropes include writing devices like metaphors, similes, analogies, synecdoche, metonymy, irony, hyperboles, epithets, and litotes. So it turns out I actually did know some tropes; I just didn’t know they were all classified under the name of being a trope. Schemes don’t compare, but play with how words appear in the text. They include repetition, balance, omission, and transposition. I knew some of these as well; however, I wasn’t all too familiar with transpositions, so I got to learn that they invert certain words or phrases in a sentence to create an odd syntax. I got to see the rhetorical power that tropes and schemes have in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment