Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Reflecting on Some Issues

I really don’t like research papers. This research paper on why youth are leaving religions was no different quite honestly; I really didn’t enjoy writing this paper at all. They’re just long and often about things I don’t particularly care about. The thing about this issue is that there are so many reasons why youth are leaving, not just one single narrow one. Also, I feel like I’m really bad at finding adequate, scholarly research. Anytime I do find something that may make a useful contribution, it turns out to be like a whole book that I would have to search through in order to find that one small, valuable piece of information. Regrettably, I feel like I wasn’t very good in coming up with solutions; my call to actions were very broad and probably not all that effective. On top of that, having to write an 8-10 page paper is just stressful.

Fortunately, there were some effective rhetorical devices that I used in my issues paper. These included pathos and ethos in my intro by revealing who I was and my own personal experiences and in connecting with my audience, and logos through the research and stats. I provided analogies (which made the paper more exciting, adding a bit of color to it), and I feel like I had good sentence structure and organizations. I like to think my paper was easy to follow and my argument made sense, despite the flaws. Because the multi-model project is like a mini research project but with an exciting design, I will be able to use these devices. I will need the research to make my claims reliable. Adding analogies, along with other types of imagery and tropes, will add extra elements of design, making the project that much more appealing, interesting, and convincing.

No comments:

Post a Comment